If you are in the market for desktop controllers, you have come across the term industrial joysticks. The question on your mind is probably what are they? Well, the purpose of this post is to share detailed information about industrial joysticks. Let’s get started.
Industrial desktop controllers/joysticks are designed for use in harsh environments. They are used in such environments as factories, construction sites, and on heavy machinery. Unlike gaming controllers, these joysticks are different in a number of ways. Here are some key features that make industrial joysticks different:
- Durability: As aforementioned, industrial joysticks are built for harsh environments. As a result, they are built to withstand extreme temperatures, humidity, dust, and vibrations. Moreover, these devices are made from high-strength materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, and industrial-grade plastics. You don’t expect them to get damaged after a small drop.
- Safety: Considering how sensitive industrial applications are, industrial joysticks often have safety features such as emergency stop buttons and locking mechanisms to prevent accidental activation. They may also be equipped with redundant sensors and fail-safe mechanisms to ensure safe operation. This is a feature you will not find on standard joysticks.
- Customizability: Industrial joysticks can be customized to fit specific applications. For example, they may have different handle shapes, button layouts, or output signals depending on the requirements of the equipment they control. As a matter of fact, it is possible to write a custom code to control industrial joysticks so that they meet your exact needs. This is unlike standard joysticks that are simply plug-and-play.
- Precision: Industrial joysticks require high precision and accuracy. To achieve this, these devices have built-in potentiometers, encoders, and other sensors to provide precise feedback to the operator. The risk of accidental inputs is significantly reduced even when these devices are used in areas with high vibrations.
- Compatibility: Industrial controllers are compatible with a wide range of equipment and control systems. They may have different output signals, such as analog or digital, to interface with different types of controllers. All in all, it is good to focus on controllers that are designed for your systems. Don’t just pick any joystick and expect it to work perfectly with your interface. Always check the manufacturer’s recommendations when it comes to compatibility.
Overall, the key differences between industrial joysticks and standard joysticks are durability, safety, customizability, precision, and compatibility. These devices are mainly designed to meet the unique requirements of industrial applications and provide reliable and precise control in harsh environments. Speak with an experienced technician before buying an industrial controller.